A guided tour of underground Fort Taiaroa, built on the headland to counter the potential threat of a Russian invasion in the late 1880s and later used for training and defence during WWI and WWII.
- Adult Ages 18+
- Child Ages 5-17
- Family of 3 2A + 1C (Ages 5-17)
- Family of 4 2A + 2C (ages 5-17)
- Family of 5 2A + 3C (Ages 5-17)
- Infant Ages 0-4
- Member Free when accompanying a full paying guest.
Take a look at the Northern Royal Albatross’ story
A 60 minute fully guided tour; short film, presentation on the albatross breeding cycle, short walk up the hill for viewing from our exclusive glassed observatory to view the albatross and any other wildlife.
Enjoy our story of the Northern Royal Albatross, followed by a short movie by Natural History NZ then a visit to potential viewing areas on Taiaroa Head.
Things to Know
- Please check in 15 minutes prior to the tour departure time to confirm your arrival.
- The Royal Albatross Centre is located at the tip of the Otago Peninsula, a 50 minute scenic drive from the Dunedin city.
- Make sure you allow time to enjoy a delicious meal in the Toroa Cafe open all day.
- Photography is allowed on our tours, but no flash. Viewing the albatross is behind a one way glass system to reduce our disturbance on the albatross and wildlife.
- The weather at Taiaroa Head can prevail, please bring warm and waterproof clothes.