The ultimate – a 90 minute guided tour telling the story of the Northern Royal Albatross and the People history of Pukekura/Taiaroa Head. Learn about our exciting history.
ALL OUR TOURS
A 60 minute fully guided tour; short film, presentation on the albatross breeding cycle, short walk up the hill for viewing from our exclusive glassed observatory to view the albatross and any other wildlife.
Wish to learn more about the magnificent Dunedin Royals in your own bubble? Book our 90 minute fully Private Unique Royal Tour with a dedicated expert albatross guide.
Membership Benefits Free guided tour at the Royal Albatross Centre when accompanying a full paying guest – or visiting by yourself, receive 40% off our Unique Taiaroa or Albatross Classic.
View the world’s only mainland breeding colony of Royal Albatross, enjoy a wildlife cruise aboard the Monarch or come and join Penguin Place for an interpretive tour on our Triple Crown Combo Tour.
One of our knowledgeable albatross guides will talk you through the conservation work that is being conducted here and abroad to look after the Toroa/Albatross and more!
Wish to learn more about the magnificent Dunedin Royals in your own bubble? Book our 60 minute fully Private Royal Tour with a dedicated expert albatross guide.
Drive yourself out along the beautiful & scenic roads of the Otago Peninsula and combine a Royal Albatross Centre land tour with an invigorating Monarch Wildlife Cruise.
A guided tour of underground Fort Taiaroa, built on the headland to counter the potential threat of a Russian invasion in the late 1880s and later used for training and defence during WWI and WWII.
VISIT THE WORLD’S ONLY MAINLAND ALBATROSS COLONY
Watch Dunedin’s famous Royals from our exclusive ‘Royal Box’ observatory. Be awed by the chance to see a majestic giant of the seas with a three-metre wingspan. Learn intimate insights and view the breeding cycle of the northern royal albatross-toroa. Don’t miss your chance to visit the stars of New Zealand’s wildlife capital and encounter the magic of awesome albatross.
Make sure to book
The Royal Albatross Centre is operated by the Otago Peninsula Trust, New Zealand’s first private charitable conservation trust. A proportion of every ticket sold at the centre goes directly towards the fostering and protection of the Northern Royal Albatross.
- Visit the only mainland breeding colony of Northern Royal Albatross in the world.
- Learn fascinating insights into these majestic monarchs of the sea from our passionate and knowledgeable guides.
- Explore a hidden underground tunnel system underneath the albatross colony and view the world’s only fully restored Armstrong Disappearing gun
- Join our Virtual Albatross Experience from the comfort of your home
- Come into the exclusive observatory and have the chance to view these charismatic birds raising their young.
- On a breezy day, you may even see them fly by with their huge 3-metre wingspan – a sight you’ll always remember.
- Booking a tour is highly recommended as spaces on tour are limited!
CONNECT WITH US:
Royal Albatross Centre tours, gift shop, cafe and information gallery: Open from 10:15am
Booking on tour is recommended as spaces are limited!
“Closed Christmas Day”
Watch the famous live Albatross Webcam Royalcam for a sneak peek -enjoy the 24-hour Albatross Live Webcam ‘Royalcam’