Drive yourself along the beautiful & scenic roads of the Otago Peninsula to combine a tour at the Royal Albatross Centre with a wildlife cruise aboard the Monarch to see Taiaroa Head from both land and sea.
TRIPLE CROWN COMBO
- Adult Ages 18+
- Child Ages 5-17
- Infant Ages 0-4
Albatross Classic + Monarch Wildlife Cruises + The OPERA (formerly Penguin Place)
Royal Albatross Centre – Enjoy our 60minute Albatross Classic tour to view the world’s only mainland breeding colony of Royal Albatross – watch these magnificent seabirds at their nest from with the Pukekura (Taiaroa Head) nature reserve.
Monarch Wildlife Cruises – Enjoy a wildlife cruise aboard the Monarch, which takes you around the spectacular Taiaroa Head to see what can’t be seen from land – several speces of albatross, fur seals and other marine mammals and ocean birds.
The OPERA (formerly Penguin Place) – Come and join The OPERA for an interpretive tour of their working conservation reserve to protect the rare Yellow Eyed Penguin.
This is a self-drive tour. Itinerary will be provided once booking has been made.
Please note: October is difficult to guarantee albatross sightings as chicks depart the headland in September and new season nests are built in late October.
During tours in October, we hope to see some new season adults either on the ground, in the air or both, but there is a small chance we may not see any.
Things to Know
- Please check in 15minutes prior to each tour.
- Monarch Wildlife Cruise departure point is located at Wellers Rock at 813 Harington Point Road, Otakou – 3kms before the Albatross Centre.
- The OPERA (formerly Penguin Place) is located between us and Monarch on 45 Pakihau Rd, Harington Point
- Photography is allowed on our tours, but no flash. Viewing the albatross is behind a one way glass system to reduce our disturbance on the albatross and wildlife.
- The weather at Taiaroa Head can prevail, please bring warm and waterproof clothes.