The ultimate tour – a 90 minute guided tour combining the Albatross Classic with the Fort Taiaroa to include the human history of Pukekura / Taiaroa Head.
- Adult Ages 18+
- Child Ages 5-17
- Family of 3 2A + 1C (Ages 5-17)
- Family of 4 2A + 2C (ages 5-17)
- Family of 5 2A + 3C (Ages 5-17)
- Infant Ages 0-4
A 30 minute guided tour of underground Fort Taiaroa, built on the headland to counter the potential threat of a Russian invasion in the late 1880s and later used for training and defence during WWI and WWII. See the only fully restored 1889 Armstrong Disappearing Gun in the world in its original position.
Fort Taiaroa, established over 100 years ago to counter the threat of invasion from Tsarist Russia, is hidden beneath the albatross colony. Visitors can explore this fascinating secret fort, learn the military history, from Maori pa to WW2 Fort and view the only Armstrong Disappearing Gun of its type in the world, still in working trim, in its original gun pit. It’s a must-do tour to gain a full appreciation of this precious historic and wildlife site – you’ll be engrossed by the interesting stories of life during the military eras.
Things to Know
- Please check in 15 minutes prior to the tour departure time to confirm your arrival.
- The Royal Albatross Centre is located at the tip of the Otago Peninsula, a 50-minute scenic drive from the Dunedin city.
- Make sure you allow time to enjoy a delicious meal in the Toroa Cafe open all day.
- Photography is allowed on our tours, but no flash. Viewing the albatross is behind a one-way glass system to reduce our disturbance on the albatross and wildlife.
- The weather at Taiaroa Head can prevail, please bring warm and waterproof clothes.