The ultimate – a 90 minute guided tour telling the story of the Northern Royal Albatross and the People history of Pukekura/Taiaroa Head. Learn about our exciting history.
EXPRESS ALBATROSS TOUR
- Adult Ages 18+
- Child Ages 5-17
- Infant Ages 0-4
A Tour Designed For School Holidays
An express version of our standard albatross experience, designed with busy school holidays – “April and July” in mind.
How heavy can a chick actually be? What do they eat? What’s the wingspan of the biggest seabird?
Discover huge Royal Albatross chicks at the world’s only mainland Royal Albatross breeding colony. Dunedin is uniquely privileged to be the only place in the whole world where you can easily see these amazing birds breed. It’s the 80th anniversary of the first chick fledging from this site in 1938. Learn all about Lance Richdale and the incredible work he did to protect the first chick and see it safely fledge.
Things to Know
- Please check in 15 minutes prior to the tour departure time to confirm your arrival.
- The Royal Albatross Centre is located at the tip of the Otago Peninsula, a 50 minute scenic drive from the Dunedin city.
- Make sure you allow time to enjoy a delicious meal in the Toroa Cafe open all day.
- Photography is allowed on our tours, but no flash. Viewing the albatross is behind a one way glass system to reduce our disturbance on the albatross and wildlife.
- The weather at Taiaroa Head can prevail, please bring warm and waterproof clothes.